One of the most awkward conversations managers and HR professionals have are around the topic of dress code violations. "What do you mean I can't wear this halter top, Susan?" Here are some tips to make dress code violation conversations less stressful:
- Post the dress code in a visible place, like the break room.
- Use the change in weather to remind associate's of appropriate attire. This can be done in a fun, informative bulletin at the change of each season.
- Have a member of the same gender address the dress code violation.
- Address violations equally.
- Do not mention appearance when addressing the violation.
- Listen to what the associate has to say. Do they have a financial hardship and limited outfit options?
What suggestions do you have for addressing dress code violations? Do you have any good stories to share around this topic?